- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 Skillet
- 1 1/2 Cups Water, room temp 375ml
- 3/4 Cup Greek Yogurt, room temp 165g
- 3 Tbsp Oil 40g
- 3/4 tsp Instant Yeast 3g
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour 560g
- 1 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt 10g
- 2 Tbsp Sugar 28g
- 2-3 Cups Cornmeal Much can be reused after
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together water and Greek yogurt and salt. Add in oil and instant yeast, followed by flour.
- Stir the dough together until it has mostly come together, then continue kneading with wet hands. The dough will be very loose a gooey at the moment.. Lightly knead together until no dry flour remains, being sure to work out any hard lumps of dry flour.
- Cover and rest 30 minutes.
Stretch & Fold
- Stretch & Fold: using wet hands to grab one side of the dough from against the bowl and stretch the dough and fold the stretched dough over the rest of the dough. Rotate the bowl 90 degrees and repeat 3 more times going all the way around the bowl. Cover and rest 30 minutes.
- Every 30 mins perofrm another "Stretch & Fold” 3-4 more times. By this time, the dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Cover and rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- After the room temperature rest, place in the fridge for 10 hours minimum, up to 48 hours.
Shape and Let Rise
- When ready to cook English Muffins, line a sheet pan with lots of cornmeal. Take rested dough out of the fridge. Work quickly because cold dough is less sticky and easier to work with.
- Scrape dough onto the counter and divide into 12 equal portions.
- Using wet hands to prevent sticking, shape each portion of dough into a ball pinching together, and rolling with cupped hands into a smooth ball. Place dough balls onto cornmeal lined tray leaving at least 2” between each dough ball.
- Dust cornmeal over the tops of all the dough balls. Cover and let proof in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until the dough muffines about doubled in size.
- Pre-heat a skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
- Cook 3-4 muffins at a time. Transfer dough balls to the skillet with a spatula, using the cornmeal to prevent dough sticking. Once the dough is in the pan, press down on them with a spatula to flatten them out.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, then rotate muffins to ensure even cooking. Re-cover and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Flip over each muffin. Once flipped, flatten with a spatula again.
- Keep cooking, with lid off, until the other side is also lightly golden, about 6 minutes, rotating half way.
- When both sides are evenly golden brown and the muffins have been in the skillet for ~12 minutes total, check the internal temperature which should be at least 200F (93C). Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Let muffins cool for at least 15 minutes. Then poke with a fork all the way around the circumference of a muffin. Muffins can then be pulled apart easily.