Soft, fluffy, yeasted crumpets
- Crumpet Rings Or metal cookie cutters
- 180 g All Purpose Flour
- 235 ml Water Luke-warm
- 4 g Yeast Active Dried
- 4 g Salt
- 4 g Baking Powder
- 6 g Sugar
- Olive Oil and Softened Butter For greasing pan and crumpet rings
Mix and proof
- Add sugar and yeast to the warm water, mix well and allow the yeast to proof.
- Add the flour and salt to the yeast mixture, sifting the baking powder.
- Wisk or beat for 2 minutes, scraping the sides to incorporate any clumps.
- Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Heat up a large frying pan or griddle to a temperature of 190°C (375°F).
- Combine olive oil and soft butter.
- Brush the inside of the rings with the butter and oil mixture.
- Place the rings into the hot pan.
- Spoon the bubbly mixture into the hot rings, filling to about halfway.
- After 5 minutes, bubbles will start to appear from the edges of the crumpets.
- You can pop any stubborn bubbles.
- Once the crumpets are dry around the edges, lift off the rings.
- When the middles are firm, you can carefully flip them to brown off the tops.
- Once golden brown, remove them from the pan and onto a wire rack to cool.
Adapted from Crumpets – profoodhomemade