- 3 lbs Apples Usually Macintosh
- 1 lb Black Currants Dried
- 1 lb Raisins Thompson
- 1 lb Raisins Sultana
- 4 oz Ground Almonds
- 2 oz Cherries Dried, Halved
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 8 oz Mixed Peel
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 lb Beef Suet
- 1 1/4 cups Brandy
Ground Almond Topping
- 4 oz Butter Melted
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1/3 cup Almonds Ground
Make the filling
- Mix everything together in a big pot - let stand for 2 days at room temperature -stirring every two hours during the day.
- At the end of 2 days add 1 cup of brandy and stir well.
- Sterilize 4 large or 8 small mason jars.
- Transfer mincemeat to jars adding one teaspoon of brandy to each jar before sealing.
- Store at room temperature in a dark place for at least three to four weeks before using. (I've found a jar more than 10 years old and the filling was still good and delightful!)
Prepare Ground Almond Topping
- Add beaten eggs to melted butter and stir to mix.
- Add sugar and ground almonds and mix well.
Make the tarts
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Prepare tart shells (either make your own or use store bought)
- Fill shells 3/4 of the way with mincemeat filling
- Cover with 1 Tbsp of ground almond topping.
- Bake until golden brown - approximately 20 mins.